Monday, January 12, 2015

Why We Broke Up By Daniel Handler

Why We Broke Up
Written By Daniel Handler
Art By Maira Kalman

Published: December 3,2013
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 354
ISBN: 0316127264

Buy Me * Goodreads

I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.

My Review:
I loved loved loved this book. It is so easy to relate to. If you have ever broken up with someone who deserved it then you basically have lived this book. I really enjoyed how all the illustrations  sent the reader deeper into the relationship that has unfolded. The book takes you from the very beginning and you fall in love with the relationship only to find out at the end what the point of the book was. It reminded me of a real relationship, while you are in it you don't know how, why or if it will end but when it does that's it, its over. Same with the book. Nothing bad to say, just a really fun fast read that everyone should enjoy.

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to go through my first relationship and break up, and I'm already 21, but this sounds like a novel I should read either way. I've learned about relationships just from watching friends and watching it on TV and I feel like I learn from that. But I also think reading would be a really good lesson for me to learn more of what I don't know. Thanks Tayler, for getting straight to the point of the meaning of this book. Definitely look forward to reading this one! :D

    ReplyDelete